Since Luke was born, he has always had small patches of dried skin. We always thought he just needed more lotion or it was because it was cold outside, so in the beginning we didn't really pay attention to them. When he was about 2 months old we started noticing them more on his cheeks. At 4 months old I started to notice how red his face was getting and how scaly it became. He was starting to get about one bottle of formula every other day. I was breastfeeding, but sometimes didn't produce enough, so I would supplement a bottle of formula. We took him to the doctors and his doctor told me to put him on soy formula instead because he was allergic to the dairy contents in the regular formula. His cheeks did get better, but he still had some rough patches on his body. He was then diagnosed with eczema. We tried many creams and followed many directions from the doctor, but it just wasn't helping. At 6 months I had to stop breastfeeding because Luke was getting dairy through my milk and that wasn't helping him at all. At 9 months he went to a dermatologist for the eczema, then again at 10 months, but he was just not clearing up. He was very itchy and uncomfortable and I knew there something more to it then the eczema. Then today we finally went to an allergy specialist. I was very nervous about the testing, but I knew that it was the best thing for him. I prayed for good results and that Luke would do great with the testing. I also asked for courage, because I was falling apart and I knew that all I needed to do was lean on Jesus.
When we got to the doctors, we checked in, then went back to the room. In the room there was a desk that had a TV with a VCR and a stack of movies. I noticed a veggie tales movie on top and I thought Praise God! Luke LOVES veggie tales and it has always calmed him down. The appointment went very well. I really liked the nurses and the doctor. The test was very quick and Luke didn't even cry! He's such a brave boy :) We had to wait about 20 minutes for the test to be complete and in only minutes we noticed the bumps on Luke's back rising. Almost every bump was as big as a blister and we just knew we were in for a treat! lol.... The doctor came in and he couldn't believe it! He told us we hit the mother load. He started pointing out everything he was allergic to.... Milk, eggs, rice, peanuts, corn, and dogs. We couldn't believe it! We also had to learn about epi-pens, because of how allergic Luke is to peanuts. Even though it is a lot, I am just thankful we finally know what he's allergic to. It's going to be tough, but with God's strength we'll get through it!
I just hope baby #2 doesn't have these many problems!! lol
No comments:
Post a Comment